Tuesday, September 16, 2008

six weeks


Evalana must have found out that there’s another growth spurt at six weeks because Friday evening she ate for eight hours straight. When I weighed her today, she weighed 13.5 pounds, so I guess she is growing. Over the weekend, Joshua’s parents came for a visit; it was good to see them. I wish that all of our family lived in Kansas City, but I'm so thankful that our parents live within a drive (no more than five hours). Sunday Evalana went into the church children's program for the first time (picture on the right). She did great through the first half of the service and then they paged me since she was ready to eat. The children's ministry is so great at Westside. The teachers pray with and for the kids, even before the babies understand all that's going on. And I was thankful that they paged me when she was just starting to say that she was hungry, rather than waiting until she was upset and crying. I think Evalana's looking forward to going back again this weekend. Evalana had recently decided that her bedtime is between 1am and 3am, which isn’t so great since I’m going back to work in two weeks and won’t be able to sleep in anymore. Last night, though, she slept for 9 hours straight! It made me nervous, though, since she’d never slept close to that long without eating. Don’t worry; I’m not expecting it to happen again for a long time. We had a busy day yesterday. We went to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers, meaning moms of kids who aren’t in school yet) in the morning. I’m looking forward to getting to know the other moms there and learning lots from that group! Then, in the afternoon, we went to William Jewell College to talk with some nursing students about our birth experience. There was a panel of five moms there, and it was great to see the students really want to learn how to be good nurses for their patients. Tonight I have an adoption ministry meeting that I’m leading for work. Then I actually go back to work at Westside on Tuesdays and Thursdays starting on the 30th. I’m so thankful to have a job that I really enjoy. And I’m really glad that Evalana will be getting childcare right there in the building with me. Things are going well here, and Joshua and I are enjoying every day with our Evalana.
Oh, one other thing. Several people asked more about EC. Here's a four-minute youtube that kind of summarizes it (although most people who have done EC would not agree with their comment that it takes more time. I know many people who work and do EC. And I think diapers and potty training take plenty of time, too.): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9euAepQPqQ

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like I'll have some competition at the table pretty soon.

    Let me know if I can come to Mothers of preschoolers next time -- that sounds like so much fun!

    -Completely Anonymous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video was very interesting!! I'm glad you shared it, as I was a bit confused on the subject!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww!! I love the pic of Evalana with her little Sunday School nametag! She did great didnt' she?! Her teachers love having her in class! :)

    So it looked the nursing Mom's room was quite a happenin' place this past Sunday evening! Isn't that a great little room?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really do think EC is a neat concept. what do you do when she is in childcare like during MOPS, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. we just do EC part-time and have her in diapers as backup. i try to give her a pottytunity (EC word for taking the baby to the potty) before dropping her off with someone.

    ReplyDelete