Friday, September 5, 2008

infant pottying

In much of the world babies don’t wear diapers, and they don’t even have “accidents.” Today in the United States most people put their babies in disposable diapers, so many times they don’t even know when the baby has pottied. But babies are actually born not wanting to potty on themselves, and, when we put them in diapers, we train them that that’s where they’re supposed to go. The practice of not using diapers is generally referred to as elimination communication or EC in the US. I know most people around here haven’t even heard of this, but we’re ECing Evalana, and I love it. We still have her in cloth diapers much of the time, depending on what we’re doing, but I know she’s always going to pee a few minutes after she wakes up since she usually stays dry while she sleeps. So, when she wakes up, I take off her diaper and hold her over our lap potty and make a psss psss sound. It’s so much fun when she potties in the potty bowl. She smiles, and I have one less diaper to wash :-).

2 comments:

  1. I actually met someone recently that does elimination communication with her daughter. They started at about 6 weeks and her baby is now about 6 months. They primarily use cloth diapers but do use EC 1 or more times per day. They use the sign for potty and say the word potty instead of the 'psss' sound. So, even though I think you are crazy (LOL)...there are other people out there doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your EC progress is really amazing. Please share more about those instances when you get a chance. Does Evalana have any hand signals for you, or is it too soon for that? Does she make a special face? (catherine boutaud)

    ReplyDelete